Tuesday, April 17, 2007

TEC290 #1

In the article by USA today it says that students feel that teachers lack in technology compared to them. I would agree. I think that children are far more computer literate than the teachers. I think the gap is slowly closing, but it is still very wide. I feel that part of the reason is the teachers of today did not grow up with home computers, computers in the classroom, and technology classes beginning in preschool. I know I did not work on a computer until I was in 5th grade and it was an old apple that taught the basic keyboarding skills. There was no internet surfing to allow me to explore what was out there. I think that with the NCLB laws it is placing a lot of pressure on teachers to get students prepared for the test. How can one expect teachers to get fluent with computers if all class time is precious for testing purposes?
http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/os/technology/plan/2004/site/edlite-default.html http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/os/technology/plan/2004/site/edlite-default.htmlI couldn’t get this site to work for me!!!!

The NETS article was more informational that I anticipated. I think it is good that the project is by teachers for teachers. Who knows better what children should know and learn then those that teach them. I do not know if there are Kansas standards for technology. It seems there are standards for everything so I am sure there is. I will have to do some research and find out!

Adopt and Adapt
This article has some very good points I agree with. I think that we are reluctant as teachers to change. I think it is hard as a new educator to go against the norm. One is in fear of not having a job the next year. I think that it will take the young educators to bring the new technology up to speed in the classroom however it is a catch 22. By bring in new things one can suffer consequences from supervisors, and parents. If the technology is not brought in, children are not getting the most out of their education. I agree with the author that if we make the most up to date technology available children will learn faster.
Highschool.com
The area I found most interesting in this article was where it talked about students that excel in the classroom but struggle online. I can relate to this. This is my first online course and I don’t wish to take another. I don’t feel that the teaching was bad in anyway shape or form. I have learned quite a bit from this class which I will share later in this assignment. I do however feel very overwhelmed by all the content covered. I think if I were able to see a real life person explain the technology and watch them go through the steps I would learn better. I do like the flexibility of being able to pick up the class when I have time (which I never seem to have enough). I also thought in this article it was interesting how they believe that not only will the highschool be taking virtual classes but soon the elementary. I don’t know if as a future educator I am ready for that!

11 comments:

Kristi Patton said...

I chose Blogspot as my blogging site too! I really liked the choices of looks for the site.

MelissaM said...

QUESTION 2

2. I thought this website will be very useful in the future. It had great intergration ideas. I also liked how it was broken down by grade level for easy use. It was also broke into content area which reminded me a lot of http://www.unitedstreaming.com/. I think that I will definatly go back and look at this site when trying to come up with lesson plans in the future. The teacher I showed this site to thought that it was easy to use and perhaps it would give her some new ideas to bring into, her classroom next year. She said that she hopes to research it a little more this summer.

MelissaM said...

3. On ALTEC I discovered a lot of really cool things. The teacher I showed this too also thought that some of the activities would be good to use in her classroom. I thought Casa Notes was a really good site. I could create a lot of handout and worksheets to minimize confusion. The homework template would even help me as a college student. The other site that was of a interest, to not only me, but also the teacher I talked with, was http://www.4kids.org/. The teacher I spoke with said that children are exposed to so much stimulus today, that activities have to be very interactive. I would use these games in my classroom they are fun yet educational.

MelissaM said...

Question 4

4.

1.
http://jc-schools.net/write/games/index.html

This site give a lot of good games to use in the classroom with your students. I think that student remember interactive games over lecture.

2.
http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php

This site becomes very important once you get into methods classes. I have created several lesson plans this semester and this site helps out. It makes using rubrics as assessment. Those crazy assessments!

3.
http://wizard.4teachers.org/

This is another of those sites you will appreciate when you get into methods class. It help to create wonderful worksheet so as a teacher you can determine 80 percent accuracy.

4.
http://www.edhelper.com/teachers/graphic_organizers.htm

This website give several graphic organizers. They have one for any type of lesson one would want to teach.

5.
http://www.flickr.com/welcome/hello/

I love the idea of bring pictures into an assignment. I am a visual learner so I think pictures are important when creating a lesson.

6.
http://www.allaboutexplorers.com/about.html

It is important to use technology and teach your students how to use it properly. This site will help with that.

7.
http://www.unitedstreaming.com/

I have already used this website in creating lessons for other classes. It gives so much information and it is reliable.
8.
http://www.quia.com/

This site allowed you to make up your own quizzes and games. It was neat because your class could have its own homepage. It reminded me of a college online course for children.

9.
http://earth.google.com/

This site is so interactive students can not only view topics but they also get a hands on feel. They create their on files and collect their own data.

10.
http://www.factmonster.com/analogies/June-28

I found this website when creating one of the projects for this class it gives a bunch of analogies. If you need to teach a lesson it has a lot of good ideas.

MelissaM said...

QUESTION 5

5. I have learned so many things from this class. I don’t know if I would have learned as much had I not had to do it on my own. I think the one thing that I enjoyed the most was creating the interactive PowerPoint. This was the first time I had to do anything like that. I think that children would enjoy it. I know I did when I was playing with some of the templates. The second thing that sticks out in my mind is Quia. This was another site where you got to create your own games and quizzes. It may be more work to create your own but I think it is quite enjoyable. We discussed this website in another one of my classes which really showed me how important it was. Finally the last thing I really enjoyed was the flickr assignment. It reminded me of myspace or facebook which I am addicted to. It was really neat how you could look at other people’s pictures. I liked how you could use the photos to enrich a lesson.

MelissaM said...

I don't know if I did this right but I hope that you can figure it out. I use this blogger for another class and could not remember my ID that I created for this class. I couldn't find the paper I wrote it down on either! It has been fun in this class and hope to take another course with you soon.

Jordan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jordan said...

I agree with you on why teachers are lagging behind their students in technology. Kids these days consider a computer with high speed internet to be the norm. When the electricity goes out, they have no idea what to do without their electronics. This is also why teachers should try to use technology in instruction; it catches and keeps students' attention.

May 1, 2007 2:52 PM

Jenny said...

I am commenting on the highschool.com article. I agree with you about the Elementary students and online classes....What? I am not ready for that either and I think it is probably a ways off. I think online classes for exceptional students are a great idea. If the student is disciplined enough. As far as high school students taking all classes online, I don't think that is such a good idea. There are many valuable lessons learned in high school that are not curriculum related. ( socialization skills, sports etc)
Jenny TECS 290 classmate

amanda m. said...

I also chose blogspot for my blog. Yours looks really good

Jennifer Dowell said...

I had an exciting time creating the powerpoint games myself.